Friday, August 12, 2016

The Friday Forum - August 12

Le Métier de Beauté finally launched its new mascara, Precision Lash Extreme Mascara. I've used it; it's very nice, particularly for those who are rabid about lash separation.The smudge-proof formula is designed for long-lasting, intense wear, all while conditioning your lashes. The anti-clump brush separates and defines lashes to create a full, wide-eyed look. It is available in one shade: Chat Noir (black). Here's the rip. It's $42! There is no way I will pay $42 for a mascara when I can have a perfectly nice one from Chanel of another luxury brand for $32. Actually, some of you know I wear drugstore mascara for about $8, which is economical, since I toss them after about six weeks.

Nevertheless, if you are in the market for the latest and greatest, call Michael Reinhardt at Neiman Marcus at (202) 966-9700, and he can ship one right out to you.

I'm much more interested in the new Hourglass Curator Lash Instrument, designed with the ability to “tight line” (deliver pigment to the very base of the lid) in mind. Because you don’t have bristles, you have a lot of freedom with the wand’s slim stainless steel applicator, which is cut with threads like a rounded screw and designed to catch and coat lashes without the fluffy partition of a traditional brush. The custom-engineered tip also makes for easy cleaning between uses.


Artistry-inspired and engineered with high precision threading and a sleek stainless steel tip, the Curator Lash Instrument is designed to give you a full 360° range to evenly coat each and every lash from base to tip, creating beautifully defined lashes from any angle. This unique bristle and brush-free tool gets to the very base of the lash line, truly transforming your lashes.

The stainless steel tip is double-cut at a 40° angle to deposit the perfect, most uniform amount of product without clumping, completely enveloping each lash from base to tip, giving you the most sophisticated, defined lashes.
  • Expertly engineered to be used from any angle for precision application to even the smallest lashes, while also reaching the very base of the last for a natural tightlining effect. Can even be used vertically to separate lashes and for exact pinpoint application of product.
  • Designed specifically to be used with Curator [mascara and base] formulas and an essential addition to any collection of makeup brushes and tools.
  • Ideal for makeup artists who wish to clean the instrument between each use.
This product is designed only to be used with the Curator Ascent Extended Wear Lash Primer and Curator Realist Defining Mascara Formula. You can find them here.

The wand, which officially hit stores August 5, pairs with a two-step product system—a sheer, lifting, extended wear lash primer and an inky black Defining Mascara Formula—that layers to create the kind of separation that makes your old-school lash comb seem suddenly obsolete. The price? $78! That blows away $42, but there's artistry and innovation I can see with the new Hourglass product. I can't wait to try it. Have you?

It's time for the Friday Forum. The Friday Forum has always been an opportunity to share information. Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Tell us about it! Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Tell us why! Do you have questions others might be able to answer? We can help! Want to talk about skin care? I'm game. Just use the comments. We have busy weekends and slow ones on the forum. I hope to see you in the comments.

Photos courtesy of Le Métier de Beauté and Hourglass

18 comments:

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Kyrie,

I am not planning to pre-order it. I will buy it either from Chantecaille or NM. I'll get it just as quickly.

Eileen said...

What's old is new again! That mascara "tool" from Hourglass is what the wands used to look like back in the late fifties and early sixties. Of course, the actual mascara has improved immeasurably over the years and I'm sure that will be a plus when revisiting an old wand concept. I remember when we used to use cake mascara and a small brush that we'd moisten with water. We'd work the mascara into a paste and then apply it with the brush. And then, mascara came out in a tube with a slim metal wand and we all thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread :-)

My summer love affair with nudes and neutrals is still going strong. I imagine the Rio Olympics has something to do with it. I can do a no makeup makeup and fancy myself Giselle Bundchen--until I look in the mirror! LOL By the way, did you all catch her strut to "The Girl From Ipanema" at the games opening ceremony? "Tall and tan and and young and lovely. . ." perfectly described her. I don't think she's attractive from a conventional standpoint, but put it all together and she's a Wow plus.

On the subject of nudes, did you know Guerlain is releasing a Nude Fall 2016 collection in addition to their French Lady? The nude collection will feature a reformulated Langerie de Peau (shades broken down into cool, neutral, and warm), a new concealer, and some new Petite Robe Noire lipsticks. I don't know much about it because the Guerlain rep was not there when I stopped by the counter today.

Hi Kyrie,

ReallyRee has some swatches of the collection although the lighting is off. They're way to cool in tone in comparison to the promo pictures. Go to her blog and search for Chanecaille protect the lions and you'll see the collection. We're spoiled to Charlestongirl's color true pictures and Ree's swatch pictures don't come close, but at least you can get an idea of the finish and pigmentation. I think the quad is going to be stunning :-)

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone.



Charlestongirl said...

Eileen, I do not remember wands like this, although I remember cake eyeliner and weird brushes.

In the 50s, I did not wear makeup. Not in the early 60s either. I was too young.

plegalmom said...

I do remember my mother's mascara having a similar wand, probably in the early to mid 60s. 💁🏼 CG, I'm looking forward to your Save the Lions swatches!

Eileen said...

Hi Charlestongirl,

I thought you'd get a kick out of this ad from the 1950's. I remembered that my mom used Helena Rubenstien mascara (one of Marilyn Monroe's fave's) and so I googled it and, sure enough, there was the metal wand I remembered. Being a young teen, I think I bought the cheaper drugstore version by either Max Factor or Revlon, but it also had the metal wand. It wasn't long, though, until the brands came out with bristled brushes.

http://hair-and-makeup-artist.com/beauty-adverts-1950s/1957-rubinstein-mascara/#main

So, how do you ladies feel about having to purchase three products (a separate tool, a primer, and a mascara) to do your lashes? To me, it seems somewhat tedious. Hourglass says the tool only needs to be cleaned periodically, but if you're using it to apply two different products, first a primer then a mascara, wouldn't you want to clean it after every use to avoid getting the two products mixed into each other? I have no need for a primer, but I imagine there's a good reason why they always come with their own separate brush.

So, what about you ladies? Do you or would you use multiple steps as part of your routine eyelash look?

Elyssa said...

The hourglass mascara wand is more like the bristle-less ones they had in the 30s. Besame cosmetics used to have that style and now I'm wishing I'd tried it because they were a LOT cheaper than the hourglass ones. Darn.

Wendy said...

Happy Weekend to you Charleston Girl!! Mascara.... there was 1 Summer where I tried almost every brand imaginable ( via a contest that I won where I was sent samples galore to test and review). No matter if it was a "drugstore brand" or " high end" they all smudged under my eye or, there was some kind of irritation. This is wearing it for 8 hours in freezing air conditioning to swelttering temperatures outside. The only 1 that I can wear is Chanel's Inimitable Intense (spelling?). I sure hope to find a less expensive version someday. Gorgeous Giselle ( wonderful Eileen's comment)....remember Chanel's les beiges collection last year? Going to the counter and pointing to her picture and saying, "yeah, I want to look like that!" Remarkably, I received compliments wearing Beige Star Glossimer which, is probably discontinued! I wondered why Chantecaille's website is not changed to show Fall. I'm impatient, I hope it comes up this week. So all the Fall Collections either are on counter or coming ....waiting for Tom Ford, Guerlain and I wonder what Armani will present? I saw new lip balms and cream concealers. Did you see Bobbi Brown's " eyeshadow book"? It looks like it's completely sold out! I was actually thinking about getting that, it looked very nice!! Maybe it will be restocked? xoxoxo p.s. sunrise, sunset?? You had a fabulous (as always) review of Chantecaille's "coral reef" collection.... I had that lippie! I think it was called Sunrise. Anyway, it was very nice.Thanky for checking into that for me!

Anonymous said...

I am almost 67 and I too remember mascara applicators/brushes that looked like the new Hourglass. Was it Helena Rubenstein? Or Lancôme? Maybe both.

Maureen said...

Dior made a fabulous cake mascara in the early 1980s. My favourite mascaras now are Bobbi Brown's Smokey Eye (great oomph for 60-year-old thinning lashes) and Covergirl Lashblast (green tube) for lazy days. Both are easy to remove with a bi-phase remover and do not flake or smear.

I saw the Chanel fall collection last week. Beautiful and love the lipsticks. The Chanel SA looked at me and said, "No, it won't suit you." She's right--I am decidedly cool-toned these days with the grey hair. She hinted about something "magical" with the Christmas releases.

I did buy the Lise Watier waterproof eye liner in Acajou (mahogany). It glides on easily, stays put, is off with a quick cleanser swipe.

Eileen said...

Hi Anonymous,

At one time
Helena Rubenstein, Max Factor, and Revlon all had metal wands :-) It was so popular for awhile, there were probably other brands as well.

Charlestongirl said...

Today, I Googled the history of mascara and had a great time reading.

Charlestongirl said...

Wendy, today, I saw some of the fall makeup at NM. It's arriving. I saw a few Tom Ford pieces, new matte eye tint from Armani, a Guerlain display. It's all arriving!

Charlestongirl said...

Maureen, I love that kind of honesty!

Evelyn said...

Eileen - all I can think is that I'd poke my eye with that wand...it really looks like a screw! It's a bit too much work for me to use all of those, I just want to put my mascara on and go. I didn't know Guerlain was coming out with more of the Lingerie de Peau. It would be nice to have a neutral color because the one light enough for my skin is on the pink side.

I haven't purchased anything from the fall collections yet, I'm going to wait to see them in person. I did see some of Dior's items, not all that excited about them. oh well! I hope everyone is having a great weekend. =)

Charlestongirl said...

Evelyn, I got a photo today of the new Guerlain LdP display. Will publish tomorrow. The shades are categorized as cool, warm, and neutral.

I can't find Dior anywhere! Maybe I'll go to their site. I spend more times chasing makeup than any sane person should.

Nan P said...

Hat's off to Hourglass's marketing department if they're successful in creating demand for this "new" (old) tool and mascara products that can only be used with it. It's definitely not for me because I'm unwilling to invest that much money and time on grooming my lashes. I'll stick with Le Volume or Armani Eyes to Kill. I wonder if my mother used one of the metal wand mascaras, All I remember is her cake mascara and brush as well as the lash curler that looked like a torture tool! I was also curious about the origins of mascara and googled it - yikes! coal dust mixed with Vaseline!

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone. I always enjoy reading the comments. I am an old makeup artist. Doesn't anyone remember the Yardley of London mascara? It was really pretty decent. I wasn't really old enough to work, but I remember it well. I think my neighborhood girls had it and it certainly did make "Twiggy" lashes!!!!!

TravelingBlush said...

I too, enjoy the Friday Forum. I like the crowd over here very much.

And thatmascara sounds like too much work. I have been using Cover Girl's fat wand since it came out, and nothing I have dabbled in since, compares.